The Town Manager is appointed by the Town Council as the organization's Chief Administrative Officer overseeing day-to-day operations of the Westerly Town government. Responsibilities, as outlined in the Town Charter, include:
- Appointing and removing all Town employees
- Enforcing and executing all acts and directives of the Council, Town laws, ordinances, and provisions of the Charter
- Directing and supervising the administration of all departments, offices, and agencies of the Town
- Attending all Council meetings
- Preparing and submitting an annual financial report to the Council
- Keeping the Council advised of the financial condition and future and other needs of the Town
- Any other duties that may be assigned by Council
ICMA, the International City/County Management Association, advances professional local government worldwide. The organization’s mission is to create excellence in local governance by developing and fostering professional management to build sustainable communities that improve people’s lives. ICMA provides member support; publications; data and information; peer and results-oriented assistance; and training and professional development to 9,000 city, town, and county experts and other individuals and organizations throughout the world. The management decisions made by ICMA's members affect millions of people in thousands of communities, from small villages and towns to large metropolitan areas.
ICMA Credentialed Manager
Derrik M. Kennedy has received the Credentialed Manager designation from ICMA. Mr. Kennedy is one of over 1,400 local government management professionals currently credentialed through the ICMA Voluntary Credentialing Program, and one of the two Credentialed Managers in the State of Rhode Island.
To receive the prestigious ICMA credential, a member must have significant experience as a senior management executive in local government; have earned a degree, preferably in public administration or a related field; and demonstrated a commitment to high standards of integrity and to lifelong learning and professional development.