What is the Soldier’s & Sailor’s Civil Relief Act?
This is a Federal Law that exempts active duty service men, women, and their spouses from paying local motor vehicle tax. The exemption is not open to their dependents, and only exempts them for the actual time they are stationed here. Once you transfer to your next permanent duty station, you are required to register your vehicle or trailer in your new state of residence and return your RI plates This is a Federal Law that exempts active duty service men and within 30 days. You will be responsible for any taxes that accrue after the
30 days. You can visit the DMV website (www.dmv.ri.gov) for specifics on how
to cancel your registration and return your license plates. For filing requirements, please see the SSCRA information, located in the Exemption section.

Show All Answers

1. What is the Soldier’s & Sailor’s Civil Relief Act?
2. Why reassess real property at all?
3. Will my assessment change if I paid above or below the Assessed Value for my property?
4. Can my Assessed Value Change between Revaluations?
5. My lot was vacant as of the last revaluation, but I built a house this year. How will this affect my assessment?
6. How do I appeal my Assessment?
7. Where did my tax bill go?
8. Are there any exemptions that I might qualify for?
9. I was recently married / divorced. How do I change my name for my tax bill?
10. How do I find out where my property line is?
11. What exactly is being taxed?
12. My business is licensed through the State of Rhode Island. Do I need to register with Town Hall?
13. I have a small home based business. Am I subject to taxation?
14. How Does the Assessment Department know what assets I have?
15. What is the deadline for Filing the Annual Return to the Assessor?
16. How do I notify the Assessor’s Office that I am no longer in business?
17. My Business moved. How do I change my address to ensure that I get my Tax Bill?
18. I received my Tax bill in July. What timeframe does this bill cover?
19. I am starting a new business. What do I need to provide to the Assessor’s Office to open an account?